Senior Frontend Engineer
Location: Remote, NYC / East Coast Centric
Reporting into: Head of Engineering
Contently is seeking a Senior Frontend Engineer to play an integral role in the planning and growth of our platform and engineering team. You’ll be working with a high IQ / high EQ, lean-but-mighty and growing Engineering team and brilliant Product team to understand, and solve the biggest challenges that world-class journalists and brands face to genuinely engage their audiences.
As the team grows, this person will act as the frontend lead for our business. They have strategic vision and can take a high-level 1-3 year plan for growth at a business level and translate that into a technology roadmap. The ability to manage and simplify complexity is the hallmark of this role; working with this person should leave team members feeling like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they came into.
Upcoming initiatives include: intelligent/automated content ideation, content recommendation engines, and a new suite of content editing tools. This is in addition to supporting the broad Contently ecosystem of technology that powers our popular and existing workflow and analytics tools.
Beyond the obvious technical engagement and feature development, Contently offers something more rare for engineers. Our engineering department is dedicated to maintaining an environment in which learning, growth, exploration, and self-determination are not only accepted, but encouraged and enthusiastically pursued.
Contently was founded to create a better life for freelance content creators and we are focused on bringing the best possible content into the world. We are looking for dedicated and thoughtful individuals who want to have a real impact on the organization, the creators and the brands we work with, and their own technical aspirations.
What you'll do:
- Guide the architecture of our React based front-end applications
- Migrate existing server-side-rendered functionality to React
- Develop with a focus on performance and maintainability
- Work collaboratively with other developers, product managers and UX
- Lead and help set the standards of best practices for productive software development
- Produce solid, thoroughly tested features (including automated tests)
- Participate in code reviews
- Work closely with and mentor other engineers
Who you are:
- 6+ years of professional software development experience
- Strong software engineering & architecture fundamentals
- You want to be part of a growing and entrepreneurial company with proven users and business model
- You want to learn more, build your experience, and contribute within a fast-paced agile environment
- You have a focus on users and customers, and a desire to win in the marketplace
- Required technical proficiencies
- Redux, Hooks API, Context API
- Test-driven development
- Object-oriented programming
- Working with legacy code-bases
- Bonus technical proficiencies
- Apollo Graphql framework
- Testing frameworks (jest, cypress, etc)
- Ruby (v2.4+)
- Ruby on Rails (v5 and v6)
- SQL / Postgresql
- Distributed systems design
- Service Oriented Architecture
About the Company
Contently powers the content marketing programs of the world’s most valuable brands through its complete content marketing solution: expert content strategy, an industry-leading content marketing platform, and the highest-rated creative network on earth.
Working at Contently means that you will be collaborating with extremely intelligent, creative, and diverse problem-solvers who love a good story and many laughs. Contently employees receive the best perks out there – great benefits including a 401k plan to Friday lunches and a flexible vacation policy.
Contently is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, disability, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.