Manager of Editor Services
Location: New York City / Eastern Time Zone Preferred
Reporting to: Sr. Manager, Talent and Editorial Services
Contently is looking for an ambitious, consultative, and proactive editorial operations professional who wants to work in a dynamic startup. As our Manager of Editor Services, you’ll work closely with our customer success team and freelance managing editors to meet our clients’ marketing objectives.
We're looking for someone with ambitions to manage a large team someday–someone who is as passionate about driving revenue as they are about great customer service. That starts with successfully hiring, training, staffing and onboarding managing editors. You’ll be in charge of managing communications with them and implementing new projects and policies to meet revenue targets.
Who you are: Highly motivated, self-directed, and known for your positive attitude. You show empathy by helping others succeed, delivering candid feedback, and engaging in group brainstorms and reflections. You’re curious–you’re all about scaling editorial processes, but are also interested in creative ideas to help drive revenue for the business. And finally, you’re accountable: to your editors, to your team, and to the company as a whole.
We can’t wait to work with you!
- Minimum 3 years of experience working in editorial strategy and processes.
- Passionate about content marketing and audience-centric editorial strategy.
- Motivated by revenue goals and hitting ambitious targets.
- Consultative and creative approach to managing editorial relationships.
- You embrace challenges and crave feedback.
- Team player who demonstrates a hunger to succeed collectively and individually.
- Strong business acumen, sound analytical decision-making, and good organizational skills.
- Motivated by startup culture and fast-paced environments.
- Vet managing editor candidates on a monthly basis
- Assess client needs and pair with editor based on expertise, availability, and strengths/weaknesses
- Onboard, train, and manage network of freelance managing editors
- Monitor editor bandwidth + communicate hiring needs
- Scope custom editor engagements
- Partner with internal services teams to hone the managing editor’s role across the customer lifecycle
- Develop and enforce policies and trainings that promote autonomy and client-centric service from editors
- Collaborate with Sr. Manager, Talent and Editorial Services to reach out to managing editors about performance reports
- Oversee systems that support scalable programs like onboarding, problem reporting, etc.
- Advocate for editors internally while balancing customer needs and wider business objectives
- Own client success and satisfaction
- Manage all communications to managing editors:
- Editor HQ
- Town halls
- Managing editor newsletters
- Maintain calendar of communications to keep editors engaged and informed
- Act as the first line of all inquiries (Slack, email)
- Proactively communicate critical information as well as build community and encourage desired behaviors
- Assist with collecting and delivering biannual editor feedback
MANAGING EDITOR BILLING
- Ensure all managing editors are set up correctly on Toggl so they can track their hours and be paid correctly for their time
- Advocate/push for automation of the billing process
EDITORIAL SERVICES DATABASE MANAGEMENT
- Maintain the Editorial Services Database (ESD) and related systems (Zapier and Typeform)
- Lead implementation of new tools as needed
FREELANCER NETWORK ASSISTANCE
- Coordinate with Community Growth Associate to create and send the quarterly freelancer newsletter
- Collaborate with Community Growth Associate to address all freelancer tickets on Intercom
MANAGING EDITOR REVENUE
- Forecast and track monthly managing editor revenue and customer spend
- Equip managing editors with projects and ideas (beyond the scope of work assigned by clients) to ensure they’re servicing their clients to the best of their ability
- Implement new revenue-driving projects and policies as needed to meet forecast and goals
About the Company
Contently powers the content marketing programs of the world’s most valuable brands through its complete content marketing solution: expert content strategy, an industry-leading content marketing platform, and the highest-rated creative network on earth.
Working at Contently means that you will be collaborating with extremely intelligent, creative, and diverse problem-solvers who love a good story and many laughs. Contently employees receive the best perks out there – great benefits including a 401(k) plan, Friday lunches, and a flexible vacation policy.
Contently is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, disability, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.