Do you absolutely love content and storytelling? Do you want to work at an organization that values creativity, risk-taking, and the ability to create bizarre memes about SEO? Are you excited by the prospect of working for a mission-driven organization that helps freelance creatives get paid well to do what they love? Then we just might have the job for you.
Over the past decade, Contently has pioneered the content marketing space and attracted an audience of hundreds of thousands of people across the globe. We’re a SaaS company, but we’re also deeply passionate about helping freelance creatives, and educating the business world on how they can use stories to build deep relationships with their customers.
The Editor-in-Chief will lead our storytelling efforts across brand, demand, and product marketing. That means having the ability to develop a killer top-of-funnel content strategy while also explaining the value of our products in a clear, compelling, jargon-free way. We’re looking for someone who’s excited by context switching from brainstorming funny social graphics to developing a product video to working on some sales enablement slides, all in the same day.
This position calls for a blend of creativity and data-driven decision-making. Strong writing, editing, and brainstorming skills will serve as the foundation for all of the different functions. You’ll ensure that our helpful content brings in qualified leads, educates customers to boost retention, and continues to establish Contently as the smartest voice in the industry.
We’re a remote company but have an awesome office and video studio in downtown New York. So you can work from anywhere, or you can work from the office, or you can trade off based on where the wind takes you. This is a remote job, but we may give some preference to candidates who are close enough to come to New York to lead video shoots at our studio or help with in-person events when those return.
What You’ll Do
- Overseeing The Content Strategist and The Freelancer, our two digital publications
- Managing a team of freelance editors, writers, videographers and a marketing coordinator
- Accelerating lead gen through playbooks, webinars, video series, and courses on ContentlyU, our flagship educational hub
- Leading content production across the website, our publications and newsletters, product marketing efforts, customer comms, and the platform
- Improving keyword ranking and overall SEO
- Connecting with our audience over all owned social channels and email
- Acting as our internal content leader by hyping up new assets and educating the company with trainings and updates
- Leading competitive research and sales enablement initiatives for product marketing
- Partnering with design to spearhead brand marketing efforts
- Guiding all video and multimedia content creation
- Managing campaign data and content performance across the platform, GA, and Pardot
Who You Are
- 6–8 years experience in marketing roles, with editorial and content marketing experience
- 2–5 years experience developing and managing content marketing strategies
- Strong communication skills and ability to be the internal and external voice of the brand
- SaaS experience a big plus
- Desire to be a player-coach and get in the weeds of ideation and content creation
- Able to lead, manage, and delegate multiple projects, and adapt to shifting priorities
- Data-driven, results-oriented, team player who demonstrates a hunger to succeed
- Entrepreneurial spirit: embrace challenges, embody resilience, passionate problem-solver
- Creative and detail-oriented – where others see complex spreadsheets and briefs, you see storytelling opportunities, campaigns, and content concepts
- Superb professional communication and interpersonal skills
- Sharp editorial eye, copy-editing, spelling, and grammar whiz
- Motivated by start-up culture and fast-paced environments
- Familiarity with BuzzSumo, SEMrush, and other SEO platforms
What We Value
- High-performing creative leaders who have a solution mindset and dig into problems and opportunities with fervor and enthusiasm
- Leaders who actively participate at all levels of building the business, not afraid to advocate for recommended solutions and promote
- Humility and accountability; focused on the right solution, collaboration, and empowering their employees
- We heavily emphasize an environment of teaching and learning to equip employees with the tools needed to be successful in their function and the company.
- Async and fluid work environment through family friendly policies, remote benefits and flexible time off
- We strongly believe in the value of growing a diverse team and encourage people of all backgrounds, genders, ethnicities, abilities, and sexual orientations to apply.
About the Company
Contently is a leader in the content marketing space as the industry’s only end to end solution for the problems facing today’s marketers. We are a software company whose full stack platform has hundreds of applications. This includes our data-driven content strategy and network of 160,000 award-winning content creators, which empowers you to build meaningful relationships with your customers.
Working at Contently means that you will be collaborating with extremely intelligent, creative, and diverse problem-solvers who love a good story and many laughs. Contently employees receive the best perks out there – great benefits including equity, 401k plan to Friday lunches and a flexible time off. We can’t wait to work with you!
Contently is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, national origin, ancestry, medical condition, disability, marital status, caregiver status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.