Location: New York City
Reporting into: Head of Engineering
Contently is seeking a solid player-coach to provide deep technical and professional guidance to our lean team of talented engineers. The ideal candidate will be able to see the big picture, while also getting their hands dirty in the code. We are looking to expand our team over the next 1-2 years, with a focus on mentorship and tactical expertise now, and a mindset for high-level technical strategy down the road.
As the team grows, this person will act as the backend lead for our business. They have strategic vision and can take a high-level 1-3 year plan for growth at a business level and translate that into a technology roadmap. The ability to manage and simplify complexity is the hallmark of this role; working with this person should leave team members feeling like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they came into.
What you'll do:
- Impact & ownership
- Ensure that all technical and architecture decisions are in service to achieving our company and team key results as fast and as well as possible
- Support our stack of over 50 services, including an analytics product with a data pipeline that ingests over 200 million events a month
- Teach and mentor engineers in technical and non-technical growth, learning, development and leadership
- Coordinate with leadership to roll out big engineering initiatives and improvements
- Provide architecture reviews with engineers with constructive feedback
- Do or delegate documentation of technical architecture, tools, and other tech specifications that an engineer would need to effectively do their job
- Provide insights and strategies for infrastructure cost management
- Communication & leadership
- Communicate clear vision and direction for technical decisions across the company
- Coordinate with the Product team to help shape both the direction of high-impact tech and product decisions
- Monitor performance of engineers in their practice area across teams in order to identify inefficiencies and suggest improvements to leads and managers
- Be an exemplary model for optimism, bringing solutions to surface problems, and coaching others to do the same
- Ensure our teams are always architecting and building towards quality, continuous iteration and experimentation, and speed of launching to production
- Work with individuals on breaking down large projects into smaller pieces so teams can deliver with improved speed and quality
Who you are:
- 7+ years of professional software experience
- 1+ years of experience driving technical strategy for business
- Experience in or understanding of Elasticsearch, Postgresql, Kubernetes, and AWS services are a large plus
- Strong practitioner of automated-testing and CI/CD pipelines
- Deep understanding of software design principles including (but not limited to) Object-oriented Programming and Domain Driven Development
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating deep technical topics as well as high level technical strategy
- Ability and motivation to mentor and nurture our existing and growing engineering team
- Focus on user and business success as the fundamental metric guiding engineering decisions
About the Company
Contently powers the content marketing programs of the world’s most valuable brands through its complete content marketing solution: expert content strategy, an industry-leading content marketing platform, and the highest-rated creative network on earth.
Working at Contently means that you will be collaborating with extremely intelligent, creative, and diverse problem-solvers who love a good story and many laughs. Contently employees receive the best perks out there – great benefits including a 401k plan to Friday lunches and a flexible vacation policy.
Contently is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color,gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information,national origin, ancestry, medical condition, disability, marital status,caregiver status, pregnancy, citizenship, age, military or veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.